Hello! I’m back today with a delightful Mother’s Day card that combines my love of color with my need for texture. It is bright and cheerful but balanced with quite a bit of white space.
Checkout the background – I started with burlap paper (this is paper that has burlap attached to it which makes it really easy to work with) and coated it with a generous amount of white embossing paste. I put it down thicker in some places and left a few spots bare. It does take a long time to dry but it is worth the wait.
I ordered the Inkssentials – Specialty Stamping Paper a while back and I finally pulled it out to create the colorful main panel. Here are some steps to duplicate the look:
1. Stamp Mom image (Taylored Expressions) in Archival Jet Black on the white cardstock.
2. Apply Art Masking Fluid using a blending stump to the portions of the image that should remain white. Let dry completely.
3. Spray cardstock with Dylusions Ink Sprays (Vibrant Turquoise and Fresh Lime). I pressed a piece of watercolor paper to the panel to soak up the extra ink. Let dry – use a heat tool to speed up the process if you can’t wait.
4. Remove the dried masking fluid. I just rubbed it off with my fingers, but you can also use an Art Gum eraser. For extra oomph, coat the letter with Glossy Accents.
5. Stamp image a second time on designer paper, cut out the tea cup, and adhere to main image using a few glue dots, double stacked. Add some shading and color with Copic markers.
6. Cut panel to size, mat on black, and add stitching. Decorate and attach to card base using foam tape.
What do you think? I’d love to hear your thoughts on this project!
Coupon Alert! If you are shopping at the Inspiration Emporium you can use coupon code fatcatstamper for 10% off your order. Pictured below are links to some of the products I used to create this card.